It's time for Fact Friday! Would you be surprised to learn that you might feel…
It’s time for Fact Friday! Today’s statistic might not shock you, but it might inspire you to stand up and boost your productivity.
”… a new study suggests that standing desks could also boost productivity for some employees by a whopping 46% … within a month of getting standing desks, those employees were 23% more productive than their colleagues who continued to use traditional sitting desks. Over the next five months, the boost in productivity rose to 53%, possibly because they got used to working while standing. The average productivity increase over the entire half-year period was 46%.”
[Source: CNN ~ Bump up your productivity at work by standing up]
Are you surprised by these stats? As it turns out, even though the productivity of all workers in this study began to level off after a while, those who still continued to stand while they worked were more productive.
Check out the article to learn more about the other contributing factors, and be sure to try out the six simple tips listed below so you can limit the amount of time you spend sitting while you work.
Stand Up: Productivity Hacks for Your Work Day
1. Set a timer. Use a timer to remind you to get up at regular intervals (e.g., every 45-60 minutes).
2. Use an app. There are a number of apps, including Fitbit, that will remind you when it’s time stand up. FitBit will also encourage you to walk around for about 3 minutes (or 250 steps). Other apps to check out include Stand Up! The Work Break Timer (iOS) and Stand-Sit Stretch App Desk (Android).
3. Use a standing desk. You may not have room for a treadmill desk in your office, but you probably have room on your desk for a laptop stand (affiliate link) that you can raise when it’s time to get up and lower when it’s time to sit back down.
4. Walk while you meet. Need to have a quick meeting with a colleague? Why not have a walking meeting instead of sitting at a conference table?
5. Stretch at your desk. Every so often, stand up and shake the wiggles out! Or, you can stretch. Sure, your coworkers might think you’re strange, but you’ll be strange and productive. 😉
6. Eat away from your desk. No more eating at your desk! Get up and get out of your office (yes, even if you work from home).
Which one of these stand up productivity tips will you try? Share in the comments.
*All book links are affiliate links.