What if time was tangible? Like a wad of cash? Or, new lipstick or grape chapstick? Or, your favorite Sharpie! You’d really pay attention to it, wouldn’t you? And, it would be kinda fun…plus you’d look and feel good, too. If you’re into money, make up, and markers.
You’d be able to manipulate it better (i.e., be more efficient). Work with it and not run away from it (i.e., procrastinate). You might even find that you have more time to share it (e.g., volunteer, hang out with friends, etc.).
Or, you might just keep more of it to yourself (e.g., exercise more, chill and do nothing, read your favorite book). Or, save some up in a Ziploc until you need it.
Time isn’t quite so cut and dry. Well, it can be very dry and boring. Pressured. Tense. Inconvenient. A royal pain. But, it’s like taxes, you have to deal with it. And, be pretty good at managing it (more often than not) to make everyone happy – your spouse, your boss, your cat, your children…you.
That last person is especially important. Because when that person is happy, everybody else is, too. So, if you’re struggling with time, figure out what the problem is.
1. Are you the person who always says yes to every project you’re offered?
2. Do you underestimate how long it will take you to really leave the house?
3. …or finish a particular task?
4. Are you the person that always refuses help?
5. Do you keep everything in your head because you know you’ll remember it all?
6. Do you dread doing certain tasks?
Please don’t go buy the latest planner, calendar, or app until you first figure out what’s off kilter. Because you’ll be wasting more time. You don’t want that, do you?