What are you time-wasters? Are you spending more and more time checking e-mail, looking at the latest pictures on Pinterest, or catching up with friends even though you have a deadline looming? To figure out what you’re focusing on, use your smart phone notes app, paper notebook, or Evernote to start tracking how you spend your time.
1. Select a week that you will start tracking your every move and click of your mouse (i.e., do your typical activities).
2. Record how you’re spending your time every day during that week.
3. Start being more strategic about where you put your energies. For example, instead of playing the game you just downloaded to your iPad, let game time be your reward after you’ve spent quality time with your important projects. And, work on those projects when you’re feeling alert and at your best.
4. Use your calendar to schedule all your activities (even the fun stuff).
5. Use a timer to help keep you on task.
Give this a try for three to four weeks (the minimum amount of time for a habit to form) and you should start noticing an improvement in your productivity.